Studying GCSE Business Studies will provide students with essential life skills and an introduction to the world of business, as well as highlighting possible career opportunities.
The course also includes information about economics, politics, legislation and the environment.
The main topics studied are:
- Business Organisation
- People in Business
- Operations Management
- The External Environment and its impact on business
There is one Controlled Assessment task taken in June of Year 10 which is 25% of the final mark. This is Unit A291 – Marketing and Enterprise.
The topic changes every year and is announced by the OCR exam board in the March of Year 10. The information is available on the OCR website.
- In June students will be issued with the task question consisting of a report on a given topic
- Students will be given time to research the task questions and complete a draft report. The research will be completed in school and independently
- Students will then have one hour in exam conditions to complete task 1 and two longer two hour sessions in exam conditions to complete tasks 2 and 3
- The report is assessed internally in school and a sample will be sent to the OCR external moderator
- Unit A292 – Business and People (25%)
- Unit A293 – Production, Finance and the External Business Environment (50%)
Both units will be taken at the end of Year 11.
Business Studies links with many other AS/A2 subjects and can lead to employment, university courses and apprenticeships.
To proceed onto the A-Level Business Studies course, students need to gain a grade B or above in English, grade C or above in Mathematics and have an interest in Business.
Mrs D Evans - firstname.lastname@example.org