|Specific Course Entry Requirements||B in German|
|Examination Levels Offered||AS and A2 Level|
Do you have a desire to communicate? Do you like to discover other cultures and ideas? Do you like discussions about contemporary issues facing young people today? Studying German at advanced level will provide you with the opportunity to communicate widely, learn about some aspects of modern Germany and its turbulent and fascinating history.You will also discover what German young people think about the same issues. By the end of the course you should be able to communicate confidently and quite fluently in German.
The new A-level German course is a two year course, and will be examined at the end of Year 13. The AS qualification is a stand alone qualification which will be completed at the end of Year 12. Throughout the course you will develop your independent language creation skills: developing a range of vocabulary and broadening your grammatical understanding and application.
In Year 12, you will develop your language skills from GCSE and will look specifically at the following topics:
- Developments in German society: the Environment, Education and the World of Work
- Artistic and Political culture in the German-speaking world: Music, Media and Festivals and traditions
In addition to this you will complete an in depth study of a modern German film.
In Year 13, you will build on the topics from Year 12, and will also study:
- Immigration and German multicultural society
- The Reunification of Germany
In addition to this you will complete an in depth study of a German novel or play. You will also complete an independent research project into an aspect of your choice of contemporary German-speaking society and culture which will form the basis of the A-level speaking exam.
For each qualification you will take the following units:
- Unit 1: Listening, Reading and Translation (1 hour 50 minutes)
- Unit 2: Written Response (1 hour 40 minutes at AS level; 2 hours 40 minutes at A-level)
- Unit 3: Speaking (12-15 minutes at AS level; 16-18 minutes at A-level)
Mr M Skitt - firstname.lastname@example.org